Friday, November 9, 2012

November 9, 2012

Happy Friday!  The last couple of weeks have been so busy that I hadn't had much time to cook, so this week I was making up for lost time; we went all out testing new recipes.  We tried a fish pasta dish, a homemade salad dressing,  a new sauce for salmon, 2 new chicken recipes, a new potato side dish, and a new lunchbox cookie.  Everything was good, though I wouldn't make all of the recipes again, and as a result, not everything earned keeper status. The pasta with fish in the sauce was good, but I don't think I'd make it again.  The salad dressing was a little overpowering for spinach and romaine, and the cookies were quite a bit of work.  We love salmon, but the sauce was so light we barely noticed any flavor. 

Both chicken dishes did earn the seal of approval, and you will likely notice quite a few ingredients overlap...clearly I am drawn to chicken recipes that call for mushrooms, onions, and white wine! The funny thing is that one of the recipes was called Quick Chicken Fricassee.  I don't know about the lunch menu at your childhood school, but I distinctly recall Chicken Fricassee as a hot lunch choice at least once a month.  I wasn't a hot lunch buyer, so I never actually tried the school Chicken Fricassee.  But now seeing the ingredients, how is it possible that something even remotely similar to the recipe I am sharing here could end up on an elementary school lunch menu?  Hmmm....maybe the teachers and administrators bought lunch that day?

My family scarfed down the roasted potatoes - but they were mixed with bacon and green onions, so really, who wouldn't love these?  Not the healthiest potatoes, but so delicious.  I did serve them with salmon and sauteed vegetables, so at least the rest of the meal had a lot of healthy redeeming qualities.

Three keepers this week.  Enjoy!

New Recipes
Roasted Potatoes with Bacon and Green Onions
Chicken in Mustard Sauce
Quick Chicken Fricassee

No comments:

Post a Comment