* 2 tsp vegetable oil
* 2 tbs chopped garlic (3-4 cloves)
* 3 tbs chopped green onions
* 1 cup pineapple juice
* 2 tbsp chili sauce
* 2 tbsp rice vinegar
* 4 tsp granulated sugar
* 1 tsp soy sauce
* 2 tbsp water
* 1/2 tsp cornstarch
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small pieces
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
1. Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp vegetable oil in a small saucepan. Saute the garlic and green onions in the oil for just a few seconds making sure the garlic does not burn. Add the pineapple juice, chile sauce, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce.
2. Dissolve the 1/2 tsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp of water. Add this to the other sauce ingredients. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium/high and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Set aside.
3. Heat the cup of vegetable oil in a wok or large sauce pan over medium heat.
4. While the oil is heating, toss the bite size pieces of chicken with the cornstarch.
5. Saute the chicken in oil, stirring occasionally, until light brown. Remove the chicken to a plate with paper towels on it and let it drain.
6. Put the chicken in a serving bowl and pour the sauce over top. Toss to coat the chicken. Serve the chicken with rice on the side.
We have followed this recipe as is, but have also found that you can just saute the chicken without dusting it in cornstarch and lightly frying it. The sauce is so good that even if the chicken isn't crunchy it is still delicious! But if you do really want to a dinner akin to the restaurant experience, dust the chicken with cornstarch and lightly fry it. Either way you are bound to love this!