Friday, February 7, 2020

February 7, 2020

Woohoo!  2 keepers this week!  Last weekend's work in the kitchen has paid enormous dividends all week long!  Owen and I cooked a few new recipes last Sunday, as well as a few staples like meatballs.  As a result, dinners all this week came together without much effort!  And extra bonus  - both new recipes made enough for 2 dinners, so my freezer still has a few fabulous pre-made meals at the ready for busy nights in the future!  Fantastic!

One of my sisters had given me the Cook's Illustrated All Time Best Make-Ahead Recipes magazine-style cookbook and told me that she'd tried a few of the recipes.  I'm intrigued by so many and decided to start off with the recipes for enchiladas and a chicken & rice casserole.  To say that the title of the periodical lived up to its name is an understatement.  The enchiladas we were not only the best I'd ever made at home, but clearly were the best I'd ever eaten.  Period.  Full stop.  Outstanding is not an exaggeration.  They were a bit on the spicy side, so Liam and Finn thought them too hot, but that is within your control when you make them; you can alter the amount of jalapeños to be more or less depending on the tastebuds of your family members.

While we were cooking we decided to make the chicken & rice casserole.  I honestly did not have huge expectations for this recipe, but it sounded like it would yield both an acceptable dinner and result in 2 dinners with the prep time of one.  All reasons enough for me to move ahead and try this new recipe.  I was completely shocked when I not only enjoyed the casserole, but was blown away by the flavor.  We all enjoyed this one and we will certainly be making it again.

In case you were curious about my lemon bread quest...still no lemon bread keeper.  But it is out there; I know it!  2 friends have suggested recipes to try, so they are on the docket.

Next weekend I won't be able to post, but don't you worry, the blog will be back later in February!

Happy Cooking!

New Recipes
Make-Ahead Enchiladas
Chicken & Rice Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment