Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10, 2011

This week has been a roller coaster weather-wise. We had a streak of 90+ degree days, followed by days in the 50's. And of course, the 50's were the days when summer break began. Oh well...I am sure there will be plenty of hot pool-worthy days ahead. Soon enough we will be wishing we could be comfortable in the jeans and sweatshirts we donned today.

But...back to the hot weather. Because it was so hot, I didn't feel much like cooking. As a result we tried out quite a few slow-cooker meals. However, with only one exception, this week's slow cooked dinners were not met with raves and cheers. The single keeper was the suggestion of a dear friend. She passed me a mutual friend's slow cooked ribs recipe. I know, I know...you may gasp at the thought of ribs cooked in a slow cooker instead of slow cooked on the grill. But, the rub looked delicious on paper, and came endorsed by friends, so I had to give it a try. Owen is a huge fan of ribs...his love of ribs began when we has about 16 months old and he attended Ribs-fest (you should see the pictures...smeared ear to ear with barbecue sauce, and beaming). Ryan and Hannah, too, love ribs, and I love a meal cooked in the slow cooker. So we gave it a go, and I suggest you do as well!

This week also brought the end of another school year. We celebrated with cupcakes and homemade pizza. I've had the pizza dough recipe for years, in fact, it might be four years I've had it. We finally tried it out, and all I can say is that I wish we had tried it out ages ago. It was ridiculously easy to make, great to work with, and tasted authentic. If you've got a bread hook for your mixer, give this one a try. We have pizza/movie night every Friday, and I no longer think we'll be making frozen pizza or ordering from the local pizza joint. Going forward everyone will be making the pizza they have been dreaming of all week. Olives and pepperoni, red onion and peppers, Sweet Baby Ray's and chicken... The dough is easy, inexpensive, and makes quite a bit. Let me know if you give it a try!

As for the cupcakes, I love to bake. I came across this recipe and had to try it - Snickers Cupcakes. It's from a site that I really wish I hadn't found...My Baking Addiction. So many recipes here look amazing! Thankfully I have friends in the neighborhood willing to taste-test for me - it works so well to spread the calories and sugar around! One change from the original recipes was that I didn't add the garnish of additional Snickers and caramel sauce, but if you make these, feel free to do so.

Well, not too many keepers this week...maybe better luck next week!

New Recipes
Basic Homemade Pizza Dough
Slow Cooked Ribs
Snickers Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment