Friday, November 16, 2012

November 16, 2012

Many of our favorite recipes found their way onto the dinner table this week, and the only new dinner recipe I tried was a complete failure.  We typically have soup once a week, and I had a new one to try that looked great on paper.  It turned out to be similar to a dress that looks fantastic on the hanger, but terrible when you try it on. The soup had basic ingredients, nothing out of the ordinary.  When we ate it, though, there was just something off about it - the texture, the flavors, definitely not worth a second bowl and certainly not worth sharing with you!

Remember those cookies I mentioned last week that were too much work to share?  Well, I made them for book club this week and all the ladies were raving about them.  So because both my kids and my gals loved them I suppose I should share the recipe.  The reason they are a lot of work  is because you have to make a recipe of cornflake crunch first, and let them cool completely.  Then, once you make the dough, you have to place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.  However, one really nice thing about these cookies is that the dough freezes great.  The day of book club I just placed a few dough balls onto a tray straight from the freezer.  From that perspective they can be quite easy!

Thanksgiving is around the corner...holy moly!  Given that we only had one keeper this week, I do want to share two of my favorite holiday recipes - perhaps you might even incorporate them into your repertoire for future family gatherings.  The turkey brine is a recipe from my mother, and the traditional bread stuffing recipe if from my mother-in-law.  When we stay in town for Thanksgiving or Christmas we always make these two recipes; I have never made turkey or homemade stuffing any other way.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, we are off to visit family, so I can safely say that I will not be posting next Friday.  Enjoy Thanksgiving and I will be back on November 30 - the last day of the month;  I can hardly wrap my head around that idea!

Gobble, gobble!

New Recipes
Everything Cookies

Tried and True
Turkey Brine
Traditional Stuffing

No comments:

Post a Comment