Friday, January 4, 2013

January 4, 2013

I didn't get a chance to do all the freezer cooking that I wanted to do this week, but I did find time to make a few batches of cookies for the kids school lunches.  Priorities, right?  A few recipes are still out for me to work on this weekend, so we shall see if I can follow through on that!  I know I will be so happy if I am able to make it happen and get a bunch of meals in the freezer - so wish me luck!

Do you eat black beans?  I am not a huge bean fan (well, I love green and wax beans, but I am talking about all those other kinds of beans...navy, pinto, kidney...).  In fact, I avoided them all as much as possible until a few years ago when I gave back beans a try.  They are small, and if made well, pretty decent.  I don't like to eat them on their own, but don't mind them at all in a meal.  So, I guess black beans are now my friends.

Black beans - they stretch a lot of different meals, and they are a cinch to make and freeze.  I keep them on hand in the freezer in about 3/4 cup batches.  You can puree them to meld more in with your dish, or keep them whole (they are fairly small). I find them to be very versatile, and add them so many different entrees.   I even have a black bean brownie recipe!   They are especially economical if you make them yourself.

This week we had two keepers.  A ravioli dish - super easy and very tasty, and a pork roast recipe which was also very easy and left me free for the day while it cooked itself!  Let me know if you give one (or both) of these a try!

Happy Cooking!

New Recipes
Fiesta RAY-violi
Slow Roasted Pork

No comments:

Post a Comment