Friday, February 28, 2014

February 28, 2014

The last day of February.  Can you believe it?  The winter isn't over out here; the typical daily high temperature is supposed to be around 41 and we haven't seen any temperature close to that in ages.  More snow expected this weekend...what a surprise. 

With all this cold weather out slow cooker has been getting a workout!  This week, one of our most highly rated keepers is a slow cooker pork recipe.  One of my sisters passed me this recipe and we are so thrilled she did!  We made it and everyone was raving over the results.  We even had plenty remaining after dinner to use in one of our favorite leftover meals, pork and caramelized onion quesadillas.  This pork takes a long time in the slow cooker, but if you can't make the timing work (you mean you don't want to get up in the middle of the night to turn it on?), it is very forgiving and also heats up great.  So maybe out it on before you head to bed, and then turn it off in the late afternoon and just leave it.  Don't shred it until dinner, and I think it still will be warm!  Or toss the shredded meat into the oven and heat it up that way.  No matter how you make it work for your family, you likely will really enjoy this recipe!

We also did some baking this week, with mixed reviews.  We made carrot zucchini muffins.  They were pretty tasty, and the kids loved them, but not super special, so I'll keep looking for a recipe that really stands out!  We made applesauce pancakes, and they were good, but a little heavy actually, so I will keep working on that recipe.  We made some oat flour banana bread which was a keeper, and I swear, Owen ate about 2/3 of the loaf!  This was really tasty, and if you like oatmeal, then you will probably love the flavor of this banana bread.  I was looking for a banana bread that was a little out of the ordinary, and this was it.  Delicious!

This coming week I am planning on challenging myself to a pantry/freezer meal planning week.  I want to see what we can make, both tried and true or new recipes, from what I have on hand.  Probably a lot of our favorites, but I am hoping to try out a new soup or main dish as well!  Wish me luck!

Happy Cooking!

New Recipes
Oatmeal Banana Bread
Slow Cooker Pork

No comments:

Post a Comment