Friday, April 4, 2014

April 4, 2014

This week certainly flew by in a flash.  My grad school semester seems to be rushing to a close (and closing in on me!) and I didn't have time to try too many new dishes.  But we did try two, and they were both keepers!

One evening we pulled leftover black bean soup out of the freezer, and I decided to make a small amount of caramelized onion quesadillas along side.  My dear friend told me about another option, sweet potato and black bean burritos!  I decided to serve it as quesadillas because that went better with my dinner plan.  Well dinner certainly was interesting!  When we had the black bean soup fresh, it was amazing, and everyone except Liam loved it.  This time, not so much...the soup consistency changed in the freezer, and no one enjoyed it.  Thankfully we were having the quesdillas to go along with dinner.  So we dumped the soup, and I made a few more of each kind of qeusadilla.  The sweet potato and black bean ones were a super hit!  Everyone already loves the pork ones (our favorite way to use leftover pork), but I was astounded at how much the kids and I loved the sweet potato and black bean ones.  To be honest, I had never bought or prepared sweet potatoes before.  But these were so good that I think I will try roasting them and serving them as a side dish.  Watch out...there might be an overload of sweet potato recipes coming your way :)

The other new recipe we made twice this week, so you know it was a keeper.  We love zucchini everything, and this time I pulled out an old zucchini pineapple recipe.  It was meant to be a loaf recipe, but from the get-go I turned it into muffins. Muffins are so portable, portioned, and fun to eat!  In any case, my kids preferred them without walnuts, and I loved them both ways, so go with your personal preference if you add walnuts or not.  But give them a try!

Another busy week ahead... here goes!

Happy Cooking!

New Recipes
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
Zucchini Pineapple Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment