Friday, December 2, 2011

December 2, 2011

One of the reasons why I love this blog project so much is because I am actually trying out so many recipes. I have binders full of clippings going back to 1999 that I have collected, plus recipes that other people have given to me. For example, our PTO was having a bake sale as part of a Craft Fair this weekend, so I made 2 treats to donate, some seasonal rice cereal treats and some really cute Santa inspired cookies that I clipped from a magazine back in November 2003! And I am cleaning out the binders as I go along - if the recipe didn't earn "keeper" status, it gets tossed into the recycling bin.

It must be the time of year...in addition to cleaning out the recipe binders, I have also begun a project to clean out the pantry and the freezer. I am finding recipes that use the various ingredients that are unopen or partially used but have no clear future use. I had some frozen puff pastry that I used for a dessert turnover. We'll see what recipes earn "keeper" status this coming week while I continue the pantry/freezer organization.

The other 2 recipes that I've shared here this week are Wilted Rainbow Chard and Manicotti. The manicotti recipe was so fun to make - Hannah and Liam really enjoyed helping me make it, and we all loved the finished pasta. As a group we agreed that the sauce wasn't our favorite, so next time we are going to use my homemade sauce. But I absolutely suggest you give this recipe a try, but use whatever sauce you love. And as for the chard recipe, we've been watching Chopped with the big kids lately, and they occasionally use ingredients we've never heard of, but often use ones we've never tried. We've seen rainbow chard a few times so we decided to pick some up and give it a try. We enjoyed it and will be making it again. You can use this recipe with Swiss chard as well.

Enjoy the recipes this week. 'Tis the season to cook up a storm, so why not try a few new recipes this week? You just may find a new favorite!

New Recipes
Wilted Rainbow Chard
Manicotti
Seasonal Bake Sale Treats
Nutella, Peanut Butter and Banana Turnovers

No comments:

Post a Comment