Friday, September 19, 2014

September 20, 2014

Hannah is out playing with the High School Pep band at the football game tonight - indications of what is coming not too far down the road.  Where have the years gone?  I was especially struck this week one evening at dinner watching her interact with her youngest brother.  9 years between the two of them and they are still amazingly close!  I don't know what he'll do when she heads off to college...but I digress; I better switch the subject before I send myself into a severe depression!

What a Sunday dinner we had!  Owen had a flag football game and we didn't get home until pretty late in the afternoon.  The dinner, chicken with caramelized pearl onions and almonds, was on the meal plan for last week but just never happened so I made it for Sunday.  All I can say...YUM!  It was beautiful, it was delicious, it was a keeper!  (You should seriously try this one!)  It was a beautiful meal that definitely qualifies as company-worthy, but it was also quick to put together.  What a winning combination!

This week I've also posted a recipe that I picked up this summer from my mom.  She loves turkey burgers and she told me her secret to making them - onion soup mix, bread crumbs, no eggs.  They are so easy to make, and they freeze wonderfully well.  It is nice to have these on hand in the freezer for when the family wants to grill out but I just don't feel like a traditional hamburger.

 My sister C shared a great (and easy - notice a pattern this week?) dinner that her family had raved about.  I made it a few days after she shared it with me and my family had the same reaction.  Chicken Parmesan Casserole was fabulous and paired well with spinach salad.  No pasta or rice needed and everyone was still satisfied.  Though next time we have it and if we have any leftover pizza dough in the fridge perhaps I will throw together a flat bread to pair with diner.

And finally, a new-ish banana muffin.  My kids are crazy for muffins, quick breads and the like.  A while back my sister M gave me a fabulous banana muffin recipe which I have made numerous times and posted here.  I went to make them this week and as I pulled out all my ingredients I found, ugh, my sour cream was no longer good.  Of course, I had already started on the muffins and adding the sour cream is the last step!  I quickly substituted vanilla yogurt and an additional bit of baking soda and wham - they were fantastic!  I added a topping that I had seen for a pumpkin quick bread and that just put them over the top.  We always have vanilla yogurt on hand so this may be our new favorite way to make banana muffins!

It's been a successful week around here - 4 keepers.  Let's see what next week brings!

Happy Cooking!

New Recipes
Chicken with Caramelized Pearl Onions and Almonds
Turkey Burgers
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Vanilla Yogurt Banana Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment