Saturday, January 11, 2020

January 11, 2020

Happy New Year! One of my resolutions is to restart the blog!  So, here we go!!!


Although it has been a long time since I have posted we continue to cook from scratch. We still try new recipes all the time and it will be great to get the keepers added into the archive!  This is a great weekend to get it restarted since it is also Liam’s birthday; he is a big reason why I started this blog in the first place! He was such a picky eater as a baby. Liam liked vegetables (at least a few) but did not like fruit.  I know what you are thinking - a kid that doesn’t like fruit? Grapes, strawberries, bananas? Yes- you read that right; Liam barely liked any fruit. So the summer he was three years old we had Fruit Boot Camp. All I offered for snacks the entire summer was fruit.  We tried many different kinds and we had so much fruit in the house - the older kids loved it! By the end of the summer Liam had come around to green grapes, strawberries and raspberries, but honestly not much else. Thankfully, over the years he has developed a taste for nearly all fruits!  


It is hard to believe Liam just turned 10 years old!  One of our birthday traditions is for the person to choose the dinner.  You literally can pick ANYTHING you want. Without fail what does Liam pick?  Tuna noodle casserole! This boy loves his comfort food. I use the recipe from Ryan’s childhood - his mom shared it with me when we were first married.  The three big kids absolutely love this, but so far Finn will not eat it. Maybe in time his tastes will change and will join his siblings and become a fan of tuna casserole; we shall see. I’ll put the recipe I use in the Tried & True section below.  A word of warning - this is an extremely monochromatic casserole so I wouldn’t suggest serving it with cauliflower!  


A friend at work asked me about dinner at our house.  I told her that we meal plan every weekend and then build the grocery list.  This process results in a fairly streamlined cooking and dinner experience in our kitchen.  I certainly would not be able to handle the pressure of coming up with an idea for dinner every night after a full day in the classroom followed by attending therapy appointments, watching sports contests or running other errands.  I need to be able to plan ahead and know what to expect. On Saturdays we look at the upcoming week and collaborate to pick out the meal ideas. We end up trying new recipes primarily on the weekend, and stick to what we know during the week.  And most Fridays we may eat the same thing as you probably do...PIZZA! The question is will it be homemade, frozen, or carry out? It depends on the week: does Finn have horseback riding, is there anything else going on, and how we are doing with the weekly food budget?


I’m so glad to be back on the blog! 2 new keepers and 1 tried a true this week!


Happy Cooking!


New Recipes


Tried & True Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment