Friday, December 14, 2012

December 14, 2012

Writing this in the wake of what has happened in Connecticut seems trivial.  I must say, if my kids ask for dessert tonight, I know I will say yes.  If they ask me to read twelve books, or play a game, or throw the football, or just snuggle, I know I will.  It isn't that I usually say no, but I, like you, sometimes say "in a minute" and it turns into 5, or 10, or longer.  Tonight I will do it right away - I will not wait.  Today has been a stark reminder that life is precious, and fleeting.  We never know what is coming.  An ordinary Friday turns heartbreaking for so many, and the date becomes etched in our mind. We all hug our children and one another and try to make sense of the events of the day.  But senselessness cannot be sorted out...

During this holiday season there are families and individuals everywhere that are in desperate need of a hug, or a shoulder upon which to lean, or even just the touch of a friend.  Be that friend, that shoulder, those arms for the hug.  And continue to be that friend long after you've put away the holiday decorations.

Sometimes food helps - a meal brought to a family in tough times, a treat dropped off for a friend, a casserole new parents can put in the freezer to be pulled out when their sleep deprived brains have no idea what to cook for dinner.  Perhaps one of these recipes can help you serve others in their time of need. Hold your families close, and say a prayer for the world.

New Recipes
Stuffed Peppers
Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
Peppermint Striped Delight
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Big Beautiful Muffins

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said, Elizabeth.

    Give your kids a hug for me, too. Today's events make me want to hug all the kids.

    ReplyDelete