Friday, March 8, 2013

March 8, 2013

You just never know what you are going to get here at the dinner table.  One night it is Cafe for Five, a cute little bistro on the Court, and another it is The Roadhouse, bringing you tex-mex in the heart of the neighborhood.  Or swing by Auntie E's and you'll fill up on comfort food.  If it sounds like my cooking suffers from multiple personality disorder I think you may be on to something.

Sunday night we had the most amazing Shepherd's pie, courtesy of an America's Test Kitchen recipe.  I don't know if you watch that cooking show on PBS, but if you don't, I really recommend you DVR it.  It is a great program, and brought to you by the same cooking experts that write Cook's Illustrated magazine.  I made only a few changes to the recipe to use what I had on hand, and I think you could definitely make this more in line with the traditional method using the leftovers of a roast instead of with ground beef.  And man - we scarfed it up!!!!  Nothing like comfort food!

Monday we had quite the restaurant quality meal.  Salmon, stuffed mushrooms, wilted salad and homemade rolls.   When I picked the salmon and mushrooms I did so independently, and when reviewing my cooking plan for the evening I was thrilled - they both cook at 400 for 15-20 minutes!  I guess they were meant to make it into the same meal.  We really enjoyed the whole meal.

Tuesday - we got snowed in and school was actually cancelled.  This is an extremely rare event here where roads are flat and on a grid.  But, the snow came down quite heavily, so we all enjoyed a day off together.  The kids even bathed in the morning and donned fresh pajamas all day!  We ate a perennial favorite that night - Hurry Up Ham.  Easy to toss together, and everyone loves it.  The kids even asked for the same salad, so we had the wilted salad again.  I do love it when the kids make requests for things other than desserts!

The rest of the week was rounded out with soup night, chicken stir fry, and the Fish Fry at church.  This week flew by, as they all seem to!  Off to make some mini-muffins for the PTO...happy cooking!

New Recipes
Wilted Salad
Stuffed Mushrooms
Shepherd's Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment