Friday, November 21, 2014

November 21, 2014

Thanksgiving is next week...wow!!!  So hard to believe!  This week in addition to the new keeper recipes I've also added links to some dishes you might want to include at your Thanksgiving feast!

This week we made five new recipes and ended up with three keepers; there were two new recipes the kids enjoyed but I wouldn't make again.   Those were a caramel cinnamon quick bread (it had an odd flavor profile) and a chocolate peanut butter bar.  The bar just didn't taste like much other than the peanut butter.  That was a bummer because it was super easy to make.  Oh well, sometimes new recipes are deemed keepers and sometimes not.

But on to the keepers!  I made a cinnamon swirl bread and we loved it!  I have to admit - we actually made it twice this week!  Once we were running low on the first loaf I decided to make it again so we could keep enjoying it for breakfast.  The second time I made it the swirl was even better because I rolled the dough tighter.  I will definitely be making this bread again!

We had a new keeper dinner that was pretty different from anything we normally have and everyone really enjoyed it.  Creamy rice, chicken and spinach - and it was creamy with a nice flavor.  If you made the rice ahead of time, or even have some leftover from a previous dinner of stir fry or other dish then the dinner will really come together quickly, and all in one large skillet.  Thumbs up for only one pot to clean after dinner.

The last keeper - I finally made a banana cake.  I've had my eye on this since October, but with Halloween I didn't want to make an extra dessert.  But we enjoyed this cake with friends that came over and it was a hit.  You can use any kind of frosting that you love or have on hand, or use a mix.  I used a caramel cream cheese frosting in the layers vanilla on the outside.  This cake has great banana flavor - give it a try if you have some bananas that aren't getting much love.

Well Happy Cooking - especially if you are hosting the Thanksgiving feast for your friends and family!

New Recipes
Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Creamy Rice, Chicken and Spinach
Banana Cake

Links to recipes for Thanksgiving
Turkey Brine
Traditional Stuffing
Crescent Rolls
Popovers
Classic Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Dutch Apple Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment